Friday, January 14, 2011

Mac n' Cheese with Bacon & Whole Grain Garlic Crouton Topping


Last night we had our friends Kristen and Adam over for dinner to tell us about their recent trip to Mexico, and prep us for ours (t-9 days until departure!). I wanted to make something easy, hearty, moderately healthy and seasonally cozy for the occasion, so of course, I picked mac and cheese.

Another dear friend gave me an amazing cookbook, titled "I Love Bacon!" (does he know me or what?!) and comprised of recipes from top Chefs all over the States that feature bacon. For this meal I based my mac and cheese off of that from Tipsy Parson and Little Giant in NYC.


Since I have to get into a bathing suit in t-9 days I decided to make as many 'healthy' substitutions as possible, including reducing the cream and substituting skim milk for the full fat milk, using whole wheat noodles and baguette for the garlic croutons. Like most homemade mac and cheeses mine was a combo of classic white sauce with lots of good orange and white cheddar, cooked noodles and topped with more cheese (cheddar and lots of shredded parmesan), and a layer of crunchy breadcrumbs (or in this case, smashed croutons).



Once assembled I popped it in a 350 oven for 30 mins until bubbly and brown. The results were creamy and cheesy with that perfect bit of crunch on top.

Pre-oven

and post....mmm.

Served with a quick arugula and heirloom grape tomato salad with dijon vinaigrette.

2 comments:

  1. looks yum Sar!! i'll be needing the recipe soon (Lor on rew's comp)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sooooo fn good, thanks again...... have fun in mexico guys!!!!!!
    i have 5 pesos if you need some money....
    a-damn!

    ReplyDelete