Sunday, January 16, 2011

Bacon-Wrapped Meatloaf

Tonight's meal was by request, the bf's to be specific, as he knows he will be spending the evening watching the Golden Globes, I figure he should at least get to choose the meal.

I've made many a meatloaf over the years, but its such a blank slate of a dish that it's always fun to mix it up and bring in a little fresh flavour. Luckily the editors at my favourite cooking magazine Fine Cooking, are right onboard with me as they included a fantastic article on meatloaf in the "cooking without recipes" section of the Feb/Mar issue (which, as anyone who's been reading this blog will know, is exactly my style). * They also have an online step by step interactive guide! Check it out here.



Aside from the unbelievable food styling and photography, they've put together a beautiful, simple and easy 6-step guide to how to make a great meatloaf, and where the substitutions can be made so one is not always making the same thing.

Here's what I threw in mine:
onion
celery
garlic
cremini mushrooms
white wine
Portugese bakery bread soaked in milk
scallions
ground pork
ground beef
1 egg
chopped fresh thyme and rosemary
cumin
chili powder
salt & pepper


and then I covered it in bacon....


Baked at 375 for 45 mins and then under the broiler for about 6 to crisp the bacon.


Served with garlic bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment