Thursday, January 6, 2011

Bacon Frittata

I seem to be perpetually trying to clean out my fridge of odds and ends. Tonight's vehicle was a fluffy frittata. Perfect for the end of the first week back at work after a nice long Christmas holiday...

First, and this may be a big shocker for all of you, I crisped up some bacon. Then wilted my remaining spinach (from yet another spinach salad) in a little bit of the rendered fat. After that, onions and mushrooms went into the pan with a knob of butter while I whisked up 6 eggs with a scoop of sour cream and some water (I'd usually use milk but we were out so I improvised) and salt & pepper.

Once all the ingredients were cooked it was time to assemble. With the onion and mushrooms still in the pan I poured in the egg mixture and let it start to cook. I scattered the bacon, wilted spinach and cubes of a really nice gruyere into the egg, and topped it off with some fresh grated parmesan cheese. Once everything was in and relatively evenly distributed, I stuck it in a hot oven for about 10 minutes.


Pre-oven


Post-oven


The results were creamy, eggy and bacony, with a little healthy kick from the spinach and mushrooms. Served with hot sauce and warm potato and chive focaccia bread...mmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment