Sunday, December 5, 2010

Lazy Boeuf Bourguignon with roasted garlic smashed potatoes

A cozy Sunday meal for a cold wintery day.




Starting with some diced peppercorn-crusted bacon this delicious stew is my version of the classic French dish notably perfected my one Ms. Julia Child. I haven't the patience to go through all of the intricate French steps; separately braising the onions and browning the mushrooms in batches, so I browned the meat and tossed everything in my crock pot (stewing beef slowly braised in red wine, beef stock and tomato paste with carrots, mushrooms and pearl onions) to let the house fill with that beefy aroma while I sat back.

After many hours at last it was ready. The meat was fork tender and just soaked up that velvety gravy-like sauce.  Served with roasted garlic, scallion smashed potatoes and fresh crusty bread, a gut-warming hearty bowl of happiness to end the weekend just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment