Thursday, December 9, 2010

Bacon-wrapped Filet Mignon with wilted spinach and sweet potato fries

Tonight's meal was a quick throw together after a long week. I picked up two small but mighty little steaks and wrapped them a slice of smokey bacon to lend a little fat and a lot of flavour.



I feel like I'm not very creative when it comes to sides, I often forget about them, so they're usually an after thought consisting of whatever's in the fridge, or the first thing I think of while walking through the produce section. So tonight I decided to go waaaay far out of my comfort zone and go for two vegetables that are usually at the bottom of my list: spinach (I've explained my feelings on the matter here) and sweet potato.

The spinach turned out well, I sauteed some shallots and garlic in butter and quickly wilted the spinach down. It was flavourful and buttery, while still maintain its bright green colour, and, as I've recently discovered, all of its nutrients. That made me feel a little better about skipping the gym tonight in favour of bacon-wrapped beef.

Now I will say, while they tasted yummy with all the spices (cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, paprika and brown sugar) these fries didn't turn out as crispy as I would have liked. I did them in the oven because I don't have a deep fryer, plus I didn't actually want them fried to begin with. I'm not sure if they needed a little more time at a lower heat, or to be salted and rinsed before hand to get rid of some if their water...if anyone's got any tips I'd love to hear how you make your oven-fries crispy!

No comments:

Post a Comment