Sunday, February 27, 2011

Oscar Night Cabbage Rolls

Happy Oscars!
Tonight's dinner was a house collaboration, starting with potato and leek soup garnished with dill oil and toasted almonds made by my good friend who loves the Oscars as much as me.


The main course was cabbage rolls with a twist. Inspired by Chuck's Day Off's lamb stuffed cabbage rolls I decided to go with this easy to pull together, totally appropriate for a snowy Sunday night belly warmer. I used the same seasonings as his recipe: garlic, onion, ginger, red chili, fresh cilantro, s&p, but instead of lamb I used half pork, half extra lean beef and a couple slices of finely diced bacon.

I blanched the cabbage leaves and stuffed them with the meat mixture and rolled.





The sauce is from sauteed onion and cabbage, with diced tomato, beef stock and a can of V8 reduced then poured over the cabbage rolls and baked for about 45 minutes.


Topped with crumbled feta cheese and that lovely sauce, and served with fresh bakery bread....

No comments:

Post a Comment