Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Mussels in Beer Broth with Bacon

One of my purchases at the Food & Wine Expo was this beer for my brewer-wannabe bf. Lug Tread by Beau's All Natural Brewery, a new discovery for both of us.


Last night I used it as the base for a broth for steamed mussels, and it was pretty good! I have to say, I do prefer a more traditional white wine sauce, but I thought this would be fun and seasonally tummy warming.

Of course I began with the bacon...rendered that off, and used the fat to sweat shallots and garlic until translucent. Then added in about a cup and a half of beer, a handful of Italian flat leaf parsley and the mussels. They steamed with the lid on for about 5 to 6 minutes while I warmed delicious sesame flatbread in the oven. Once done, I tossed in the crispy bits of bacon, scooped the mussels into a pasta bowl with as much broth as could fit and garnished with some chopped chives for that fresh onion-y bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment